10 ways to make you matte lipstick work for you.
Matte lipstick is always going to be a winner, but it’s not low-maintenance makeup. You can’t just throw it on and go, or you’ll look more like you ate an orange. Well, we’ve got you covered, we came up with the top ways to look flawless while rocking your best matte lip.
1. Exfoliate your lips before applying lipstick to avoid a cakey look.
2. Apply a thin layer of balm on your lips before applying lipstick to keep lips hydrated.
This will help keep your lips hydrated since matte lipstick can be super drying. Applying balm before the lipstick instead of after will help keep your lips looking totally matte.
3. To make your lipstick stay on all day, pull apart the layers of a tissue, place one tissue on your lips, and apply translucent powder on top of the tissue.
This allows a little bit of powder to come through the tissue and deposit onto your lipstick. The powder provides tons of staying power, just like it does to your face makeup. You don’t want to put it directly on your lips though because it’ll look cakey.
4. After applying lipstick, apply a skin-coloured powder around the edges to create an extra clean line around your lips.
This tidies up the edges of your lipstick and makes your pout pop.
5. Line your lips first for a precise application.
Matte lipstick is super pigmented so it’s easy to get colour outside the line of your lips. After lining your pout, use the liner to colour in your lips about halfway before applying the lipstick. This will keep lipstick from fading, and it will help it all blend together better, too.
6. Apply lip primer directly onto your lips to make the lipstick colour stay true and keep it from bleeding.
Your lips aren’t naturally one colour, so unless you create an even shade with primer, your lips won’t look like the lipstick — it’ll be a bit more subdued. Coating your lips with primer before applying liner and lipstick helps the colour look vibrant and keeps the formula from smearing.
7. Apply sheer gloss over a matte lip for a less bold look.
Going for a more subtle vibe? Pop clear gloss over your matte lipstick for a fresh, dewy look.
8. Dab highlighter onto the middle of your bottom lip to get a fuller effect.
Bold matte lipstick can actually make your lips look smaller so this trick will help counter that effect. Highlighter adds extra volume on your bottom lip where the sun would naturally hit. Apply after your lipstick, and stick with a powder highlighter to keep the matte look intact.
9. When you want to reapply, take everything off and start over.