8 fabulous ways to wear a shirt dress
A shirt dress makes for great casual wear and once you figure out how to wear it with panache, you will wonder how you ever did without it. Here are some tips to pull it off:
- A shirt dress is a loose shirt, not a baggy or an oversized one, but a shirt with a relaxed cut. If you are pear-shaped opt for a shirt dress with a full skirt, which means it is fuller at the bottom.
- Cinch it in at the waist with a skinny belt or a number of skinny belts or a scarf rather than a big belt. When cinched, pair with flats, plimsoles or brogues. This dresses it down without you having to try too hard.
- A crisp, white knee-length shirt dress can be worn with heels to the office with a blazer and classic pumps or a high-heeled sandals. Alternatively, look for a shirt with a tail. The looser the shirt, the higher the heel. Knee-length is also the perfect length to wear with boots during the cold season.
- For an androgynous take, pair with chunky heels, sneakers, loafers, combat boots or ankle boots and a leather jacket.
- If your shirt dress feels too short, wear it with tights or skinny jeans.
- You don’t have to restrict yourself to khaki shirt dresses for weekends. You could get a print shirt and wear it layered either with a trench coat, or wear it as a trench coat with a lighter shirt buttoned underneath.
- For outdoor events the shirt dress can be worn with a pair of shorts that has about an inch or three of the hem peeking out.
- Play around with stacked bracelets, long necklaces and camisoles inside your shirt dress.